ZUCCHINI CINNAMON ROLLS


A while back I made Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and they were delicious... I was sitting here this morning trying to figure out what to do with my zucchini crop thumbing through my cookbook when I see the cinnamon rolls... I thought - if I can do those with pumpkin puree - why not zucchini puree? So I emailed the recipe to my sister in law because she has tons of fresh zucchini in her garden and I thought she would enjoy a different kind of way to use up the zucchini. Then I thought - what the heck - I'm gonna try it out too. So I scrap the idea of making zucchini enchiladas for dinner - we just ate leftovers... and today I made the Zucchini Cinnamon Rolls. And... I'm happy to report that they were delicious... I even had a friend - Catharina help me and she was very skeptical - but she loved 'em. And my new friend Vanessa even called me something of a Goddess. So - they've passed the test! We made them two ways - one just plain cinnamon rolls - the other with chocolate chunks and almonds... I personally like the chocolate and nut ones better. Photos below and a recipe to follow!


Baked and ready to frost...

It looks a bit like cream of zucchini soup condensed... but it's delicious frosting!

What a good helper :)



Sweet and yummy and somehow a little bit healthy too!

Enjoying the labor of our afternoon.
------------------------------------------------------------------

ZUCCHINI CINNAMON ROLLS recipe - makes 24!
1 T Active dry yeast
1 - 1/2 C Warm water
3/4 C Pureed zucchini
1/4 C Oil or melted margarine
5 to 6 C HOT ROLL MIX
1 t Ground cinnamon
1/2 t Ground nutmeg
1/2 t Ground ginger
Cinnamon Sprinkle:
2 T Margarine, melted
1/2 C Brown sugar
1 - 1/2 t Ground cinnamon
1/2 C Raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 C Chopped nuts (optional)
Zucchini Frosting:
1/4 C Zucchini puree
4 T Margarine, softened
1 t Liquid cinnamon extract or vanilla extract
2 C Powdered sugar
1 t Milk to thin, if desired
Directions: In bread machine pan, combine yeast and warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then add in pureed zucchini and oil. In a large bowl, sift together HOT ROLL MIX and spices. Put on top of zucchini mix in bread machine pan. Begin bread machine on dough cycle (runs roughly 90 minutes). Meanwhile, prepare Cinnamon Sprinkle. Combine melted margarine with cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside. When dough is ready, punch down and roll out into a large rectangle (approx 24" x 12") Spread cinnamon sprinkle evenly over dough (with fingers is easiest). Sprinkle raisins and nuts over top - if using. Roll up dough and cut into 24 equal slices (or more, if you do it that way). Put cinnamon rolls right side up on prepared baking sheets and let rise about 30-40 minutes in warm place. Bake in preheated oven 350F (175C) for 18 - 25 minutes or until golden. While rolls are baking, prepare frosting. Whip together pureed zucchini, margarine and shortening. Add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Last add cinnamon extract. Taste and adjust flavor according to desire. Use a bit of milk to thin if you like that. Let rolls cool slightly before topping with this yummy zucchini frosting.
Who would have thought - zucchini frosting... and yes, it's good!

Comments

Unknown said…
this was fun and delicious!!!!
shea said…
Those look great. Did Tari try it yet?
MelissaDaams said…
i don't know if Tari tried them yet - but i did and they were great... i'm a cinnamon roll addict.

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!