Today is a Glorious Day

Last night I hardly got any sleep at all. In fact, almost every night I hardly get any sleep at all. And as a result of that I end up being sleepy all day and then eating foods that are not too good for me. You know - quick, unhealthy, sugary, and fatty foods. And chocolate.

Well, last night I read a pick me up kind of blog post from Angela at Oh She Glows. And then I, too realised, I don't need a juicer, when I've got my blender. I decided to make myself some really healthy smoothies using what I had on hand.

I really wanted to make that green monster drink but I just don't have any spinach... and usually I almost always have some - at least in the freezer - so I can whip up some African Peanut Soup - it's punk papa's favorite!

Okay, so I looked in my fridge and did this. About 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt. 1 small ripe banana. 1 small carrot, peeled and grated and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed. I blended till smooth and drank it up.

Okay, at first, it was a little bit tart - afterall I was using the plain yogurt. But soon enough I was enjoying it.

Then, about 90 minutes later - it hit me. I felt great. Like really great. Like as if I had slept all through the night for a month straight great. So then I thought, I'm going to make myself another super duper healthy shake thingy for lunch, too.

And I did.

And something really awesome happened very soon after that, too. I was full. Like actually satisfied. You know, usually I eat lunch and then I just keep on snacking immediately after I'm done eating. Like usually, my lunch doesn't really satisfy me.

But, this lunch did.

This is what I did.

In a small sauce pan, I combined 1/2 tablespoon butter with one small diced apple, 1 handful of shredded red cabbage, a sprinkle of ground clove and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. I stirred it around, put the lid on and let it get cooked and soft - about 10 minutes. Then I added that to 1 tablespoon flax seed, 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt and about 1/3 cup orange juice in the blender - till smooth.

Again, tart - no sugar added... and it tasted okay. I liked it. I enjoyed it. And then before I even finished drinking it... I felt my hunger vanish. Completely gone.

And I feel really good. Happy even. I have energy... and I didn't even have to quit eating sugar all together to feel this way.

Thank you Angela, because the thought of quitting sugar for good frightens me really. I've been reading some different things lately about how other people gave up sugar and they would say it's really hard - but that they had so much energy afterwards that is was worth it. But still, the thought of no cookies, no cake for birthdays - just doesn't sound all that enticing to me... no chocolate ever again - oh no...

So you see - I have energy - I feel really good and all this without having to quit sugar permanently is a very good thing.

And it's not even sunny outside. It's totally gloomy. It's been like, rainy and cloudy and gloomy all week - so I can't contribute it to the weather. It must be the smoothies and the flax seed.


See! I told you - it's gloomy outside... not the weather then.

So, tomorrow, when I go grocery shopping, I'm going to pick up some spinach -- and I'm going to do the green monster thingy -- and I'm way excited for it!

Comments

It's cold and dreary here, too! :( Glad you are eating good things for you and your baby!

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)