Basic Breakfast Cake aka ontbijtkoek aka Ginger Bread (Grain-free, Dairy free, Primal)

I highly recommend you follow my gallery on Instagram*. I post almost daily. The thing I like about Instagram is that you can easily edit and upload food photos. It's much faster than blogging your recipes. So, I have a small group of followers to my Instragram "gallery" if you will, and mostly I get a lot of comments through what I also post to facebook - and this one particular photo I posted, I got a request that it be blogged. In other words, one of my fans (okay, she's my sister-in-law) requested the recipe to one such photo:




I guess it does look pretty good. I'm gonna go ahead and meet her request. Because not only does it look pretty good - it tasted pretty good, too. This is a recipe that I've been playing around with for quite some time. And it seemed like every time I made a version of primal ginger bread - it was too eggy or too soggy or too something - but not quite cakey enough. Well, I finally decided to make this version - which is a variation of my primal basic chocolate cake


And it works wonderfully. So here is what I did:


First I made my own nut butter using a combination of what nuts I had lying around. I used walnuts, cashew nuts and some macadamia nuts. Also about 30 grams macadamia nut oil - enough to equal in total 160 grams. To make your own nut butter - simply add the nuts to your food processor fitted with a metal blade and blend until buttery. It will take a while. If you don't have a kitchen scale - I highly recommend getting one.


Ingredients:
160 grams nut butter blend (walnut, cashew, macadamia)
3 medium eggs, separated
1 mashed banana
1 T pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey or date syrup
2 T coconut flour (dessicated coconut whizzed up fine in coffee mill)
3/8 cup almond flour
Pinch salt
1 T baking powder 
1/2 t baking soda
1 T ground cinnamon
1 1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t allspice or chai spice mix


Blend together nut butter, egg yolks, banana, vanilla and honey. In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients. You can also just measure out all the dry ingredients into a bowl and then whisk it together. Whip egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in egg whites. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 165 degrees C for 45 minutes.


I prepared my bread pan by folding aluminum foil around the inside and spreading a generous amount of butter on it. If you want to keep your cake dairy free - use something else like coconut oil. This way, when you remove the cake from the oven and after it cools a little, just lift it out of the pan with the foil and then it makes clean up so much easier, too.


Slice when cool - spread with butter.


~~~~~


Even though this turned out wonderfully - I'm going to continue to tweak the spices - usually Dutch breakfast cake - traditionally contains black pepper. I may even use a ginger bread spice blend next time.


*Instagram is a free app for your iPhone or Android phone. It's lots of fun - check it out!

Comments

Unknown said…
haHAAA YAY!!!
I have everything for this except the nut butter (which I could just make my own - I do have lots of nuts in the cupboard) and coconut four.
I WILL be making this in the next week or so! It sounds OH so yummy! thank you for posting for meeee :):):)

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!