Perfekte Pannekoeken

I've been making Dutch style pancakes for years. Pretty much ever since I moved to Holland with my Dutch husband and then along came the kids and they would request them for dinner quite regularly. 

I met this Dutch lady, Tonie Kuurstra and she taught me how she made them - and she used to operate a bed n breakfast so she made a lot of them. I went to her house one time and she had stacks and stacks of them. She made them with butter, too as I recall... and that's how I usually make them as well.

However, today, I experienced the most scrumptious griddle-like perfect pancakes and no butter was used.

So, here is what happened. Yesterday, the doctor's office called me with the results of my blood test... and it turns out that everything was good except in one place it said my fat or lipid was too high. I need to cut back on the fat intake. Which makes sense because I cook with a lot of butter. :D

So, even though I used the full fat milk in this recipe, the big difference was I used Parkay Squeeze which has 0 Trans fat, and 0 mg cholesterol. And it works great for pancakes... (and for gourmet-raclette grills - which is really the only other time I use it.) Maybe I will start using it more often though. 

Now one more reason why I think these pancakes turned out awesome was that instead of making them for dinner, I made them for Saturday morning breakfast and there were other kids around in the kitchen so I just didn't feel like a slave to the family. 

Crow and Siembra were making fresh squeezed lemonade. Then I was telling the kids about a favorite memory I have of coming down the stairs, smelling my Dad's pancakes, hearing top 40 on the radio and the sun shining through the windows... it was the perfect thing to wake up to - a delightful memory. So after the first pancake, I quickly went to my room to get my Bose speaker and to listen to a playlist that I created that reminded me of that Pancake Memory. 

Now my dad didn't make Dutch pancakes. He made a thicker griddle pancake with lots of butter and he would add all sorts of flavors to the pancakes like banana flavoring as I recall. And then he would top them with more melted butter, some American pancake syrup and that's it. They were very sweet. 

Sometimes these taste great with fresh sliced bananas and warm Nutella. Mark, being the Dutchman that he is, just eats them with a sprinkle of white sugar. I like to add fruit preserves so it feels a little healthier and if we have any, I like to add whipped cream.

Here is another tip: turn the oven to "keep warm" and after each pancake is cooked, put it on the plate in a stack in the oven to keep warm - otherwise, Mark and the kids come into the kitchen and take them to eat while I cook, and then when I'm finished, there is one or two left for me and everyone has eaten and left and I'm sitting alone eating my pancake. Which can be nice sometimes... but it can also be lonely.

PRINT VERSION

Give my playlist a listen: Pancake Memories



RECIPE
Perfekte Pannekoeken


Ready in 20 minutes

Serves 6-8  people


Tips

Add Pre-sliced apples to individual pancakes during step 3, if desired.

Serve with powdered sugar, appelstroop, buttered syrup, jam, Nutella, fresh-cut fruit and or/whip cream.  

Ingredients

  • 2 cups whole milk

  • 3 large eggs

  • 1 tsp salt

  • ½ tsp baking powder

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • Parkay Squeeze (or similar 60% vegetable oil spread, 0g Trans Fat, 0mg Cholesterol)

Preparation

  1. With use of a blender, mix milk and eggs, then add salt and baking powder, blend again. Then add flour, ½ cup at a time and blend with each addition till no visible lumps appear.

  2. Heat a crepe or skillet- pan over medium heat. Squeeze about 1 tablespoon of Parkay into the pan and lifting the pan, tip it to the edges. It should be hot and bubbly.

  3. With a soup ladle, scoop two spoonfuls of the batter onto the pan and again, tip the pan so the batter spreads out evenly and fills the pan.

  4. After it looks ready, tip the pancake up to see that it’s golden and has those scrumptious griddle marks, and flip over to cook the other side.

  5. Repeat until the batter is used up.

  6. Place pancakes in a stack on an oven-proof plate  in the oven set to “keep warm” until they are all finished - otherwise, you will be eating alone.





My stack is so small because the family came in and took them right from the oven.
I still ate alone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)