The Kids Cook Mondays - Pizza Roll-ups

Foodista.com is sponsoring The Kids Cook Mondays recipe contest. This has inspired me to let Kailea help out a bit more in the kitchen. Of course, with a contest like that they are looking for new recipes - and Kailea wants to help but her idea of helping is choosing the meals. Her favorite things to eat are as follows: french fries, noodles, pancakes and...  french fries.

So, that means I have to come up with the ideas - let her help - and hope she eats the end result. Since we've been baking a lot of sweet rolls - and since I already like pizza and calzones - thought we would combine the two ideas into one. So we made our regular pizza dough, rolled it out - spread it with our favorite sauce and toppings. Rolled it, cut it, baked it. And what we ended with were mini pizza rolls. Tastey little treats - that made for a nice meal paired with salad, and apple wedges for the kids.

The recipe I use for dough is quite good. It comes from Irma S. Rombauer's Joy of Cooking Vegetarian cook book. I like this book a lot. This is my go to recipe for pizza dough. It makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas or 4 medium size calzones.

Combine in a large mixing bowl and let stand 5 minutes for yeast to dissolve:
1 package (2 1-4 teaspoons) active dry yeast and
1 1/3 cups warm water (105-115 F degrees)

Add:
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt (although I prefer less - more like 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Mix by hand to blend all ingredients - then knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to another bowl coated in olive oil, turn to cover dough in oil and cover with plastic wrap or warm wet towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in volume. Divide into two balls for pizza or four balls for calzones. Flatten and roll out for desired use.



Kailea is a real princess. Which basically means she's a typical girl that likes to get dolled up. And today I even let her wear make-up. It is summer vacation afterall, so she might as well have some fun. Of course, her idea of wearing make up and so forth - is that she gets to put it on. And that is okay with me - I told her that the make-up is only for dress up - she doesn't get to wear it to school or church. It's only for parties like Halloween and playing at home. She's very happy about dress up days though. So that should explain the strange eye-shadow she is wearing today. I don't remember being like her as a child. I think I preferred playing with cars... although I did have quite a few Barbie dolls as well....  She seems pretty satisfied with her pizza roll-ups. But did she eat them? It took some encouragement and promises of ice cream dessert. In the end I think she ate all her apple wedges, and about 1 or 2 small pizza roll ups. She's a very picky-eater for sure. They sure filled her up though - because she couldn't even finish her ice cream treat :) Probably because she usually fills up on the liquids - I think she had plenty of chocolate milk, milk and more milk during dinner. Ella is following in her footsteps, too!



The end result - tastey little pizza roll-ups










Comments

Joy said…
So adorable. My daughter would help me any time in the kitchen. She is adorable.
Mark said…
Excellent blog post. Lots of fun to read.
Get Fit said…
She is adorable! My grandkids will love making these little pizza roll-ups, can't wait to try them. Picky eaters too, but the making will be lots of fun I bet.
I really enjoyed this post, the story, the pictures and all. Keep em coming! Thanks for sharing and giving us a window into your life!
Yes, your girl is a real princess! So beautiful! And great post! I will do my best to dig up that chocolate cake & icing recipe and send them to ya!
Needful Things said…
What a fun idea - my kids love to 'help' me in the kitchen and this sounds like something they would really enjoy making with me.
Your daughter is really adorable by the way! Mine loves dressing up too - only, she's obsessed with changing her clothes half a dozen times a day :-|

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!