Chick-O-Stick Soup


Okay, this soup is really called Peanut soup with chicken and banana... but it’s garnished with Seroendeng which is a spice-blend made from coconut, peanuts and spices - and when you swirl it through the soup - it tastes just like a Chick-O-Stick. Some of you may not know what that is, so I’ll tell you. A Chick-O-Stick is one of my most favorite “old fashioned” candies from America. Recently one of my awesome family members sent me a care package full of all kinds of American candies. I specifically requested a Chick-O-Stick. She had to look pretty hard but she found me one. It was one of the first things I ate. Loved it. A Chick-O-Stick is kind of like a Butterfinger without the chocolate. It’s peanutty, crispy, sweet and it’s got coconut. In one word it’s yummy.


So, I found this recipe for peanut soup and it contains bananas! Of course, I recently wrote another blogpost with recipes containing bananas... and in that post I said that a friend of mine who grew up in Colombia said that they ate bananas with their soup - as opposed to us Dutch and Americans who eat soup with bread. So, I just had to try this recipe to see if it was any good.

Well, it’s awesome. I think one of my new favorites. This Sunday at the church I go to - we are having soup - and I’m bringing this recipe to share... with the exception of the bananas. I’m leaving those out... we will serve it with bread :)

It’s not that the bananas don’t taste good in it - they were okay. I just prefer it with bread. I ate mine with pita bread actually. The bananas gave it a little something sweet but it doesn’t really need them - unless you are from Colombia and you like bananas with your soup - then - go for it.


Seroendeng
Chick-O-Stick Soup
Makes 4 main course servings

1 leek + 3 stalks celery + 200 grams small carrots
      OR 350 grams pre-cut vegetables for soup mix
200 grams fresh green beans, trimmed
100 grams bean sprouts, washed
1 1/4 liter chicken or vegetable bouillon
150 grams peanut butter
1-2 teaspoons Sambal badjak or Sambal oelek (for the people that like it hot)
175 grams vegetarian chicken pieces, cooked
salt and pepper to taste
1 small banana, if desired
2 tablespoons Seroendeng
2 tablespoons fresh coriander or parsley, finely chopped

So, cut the leek, celery and carrots up finely - or use a precut bag of vegetables for soup, which is what I do - much easier and faster. Bring a soup pan with the peanut butter and bouillon to boil. Add the Sambal. Add the soup vegetables and green beans. Cook 10 minutes. In the last 2 minutes, add the bean sprouts and vegetarian chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Peel banana and slices into 12 pieces. Ladle the soup into deep bowls and garnish with banana slices and sprinkle with Seroendeng and fresh herbs if desired. Also delicious with pita or roti.

(Can't find Seroendeng or Sambal... try your local chinese market - or if you are so lucky to have one - an Indonesian market!)

Comments

What creative to way to make soup! I love the idea of tropical flavors!

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)