Sergeant York's Cookies


So, good news - my brother who had spent the last year or so in Afganistan away from his wife and little girls - and a few years before that in Iraq... made Sergeant and I am so happy for him - he deserves it and also because that means - he gets a bigger paycheck!

With good news like that I felt like making some cookies - specifically his cookies. My brother was always baking these cookies growing up - almost every Sunday night and we couldn't stop eating them... which is why they always seemed to disappear.

He actually calls them: Vanishing Oatmeal *Chocolate Chip* Cookies.

One time I ate so many of them... well, maybe that isn't the right story to tell... the point is that these are addicting - because they are so SO so good.

Here is Sergeant York's cookies - in his own words he says “This is the recipe I use for oatmeal cookies. It actually calls for raisins, but I use chocolate chips instead, cause I'm not a big fan of raisins, and chocolate is always good. On a side note, I usually double the recipe so I have more cookies, cause there never seems to be enough.”



Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened (I usually use butter)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Quaker Oats
And your desired amount of chocolate chips
       (bag, half bag, 7 bags, whatever)





Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350*F (you'll have to convert that to celsius Mel) (180*C)
2. Beat butter and sugars till creamy
3. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well
4. Add flour, baking soda, cinamon, and salt. Mix well
5. Stir in oats and chocolate chips; mix well.
6. Treat yourself to some dough.
7. Place on cookie sheets.
8. Bake 'em for 10-12 minutes (if you want em gooey then just about 10)
9. Put a glass of milk in the freezer to get nice and cold.
10. Cool em on some wax paper or something.
11. Pick up semi-cooled cookie and dip in milk, place in mouth, and enjoy.
12. Repeat step 11 as desired, but not too many times.
13. Package up a dozen and send to [Sergeant York] so he can see if they are as good as his.

Number Of Servings: It says 4 dozen

Preparation Time: Depends on how many breaks you take.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

CKP notes: Really, the only thing I do differently is use chopped up dark chocolate bar because I like the chocolate pieces chunkier and you know it's cheaper to buy chocolate bars than chocolate chips (at least where I live).

I especially like step 11 - but I agree with step 12 - because from experience too many is a bad thing if you eat them all at once -- you could eat them all by yourself - just space it out over the course of a week - trust me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Also...he usually adds just a bit more cinnamon than it calls for :) that is his 'secret'
*I didn't tell you that*
I am printing the recipe to try it for next Wed. noon service dessert!
Will let you know how it turned out! Glad your brother got promoted! :)
Yay for your brother! These sound amazing--will try!

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)