A little bit about me...

This is my blog - so I can talk about me. :)


Cute Kitty Punk is a mini phrase I started using many years ago. I just like it because it's kind of hip and catchy... but it doesn't totally describe me. I'm really sweet - not punkish. I don't even really like punk music. I do like the Cure. They aren't really punk though - more like alternative. I love Daft Punk. Does that make me punk? Probably not.


I feel like an average American girl. Except that I don't live in America. I have been living here in Europe for almost 7 years. When I first got here I missed Mexican food like crazy. One time I made a special dinner with enchiladas, refried beans, Spanish rice, and guacamole. I served it to my sister-in-law. She looked at the beans like - "what is that?" A look of disgust on her face. I was like, "what? You've never seen refried beans? They are delicious."


She didn't think so.


Well, fast forward 7 years - and I don't even miss it anymore.  I've totally gotten used to living here. I don't even really miss American breakfast cereal anymore. I never thought that would happen. We use to drive over an hour to get to a Wal*mart in Germany that had American breakfast cereals. And I'd stock up there.  Now I don't even care about it. And I went through a phase here where I ate whatever breakfast cereals they have here in the Dutch stores - which isn't much - believe me.


Now, my favorite thing to eat for breakfast - it's very Dutch: bread! Bread with jam or Halvarine and honey. I don't really know what Halvarine is America is called. I'm thinking it's light margarine spread.


My favorite kind of ethnic food - Indonesian... Dutch-Indonesian.!


You, my readers/followers, family and friends are going to be seeing a lot more Indonesian food posts. In fact, this Friday I will be making Babi Pangang. It's my husbands most favorite thing to order at a "Chinese" restaurant. I put that in quotes because Chinese restaurants are different every where you go. Well, here in the Netherlands - they are usually Chinese-Indonesian. And I discovered that the reason why I never had Babi Pangang at a Chinese restaurant in America is because it's not Chinese - it's Indonesian.


And it's delicious. So be looking for a blog post on that in the future.

photo credit: watmaakt.suzette.nu

Comments

Miriam said…
I enjoyed reading about you :)! And I discovered from your site that you're a Mormon? ...Me too!!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
Lisa said…
That's so amazing that you live in Europe. What a fantastic experience that must be.
Sonya said…
Thats my husbands favorite item to order aswell! I really miss american chinese food..Im not s big fan of what they have here..although the giant loempias rock! I make homemade versions of almost everything we loved from back home so that helps. I love love love trying new foods here though and living so close to germany allows me to try even more great foods..Im sooo loving Doners..lol

I find myself not missing alot of things from home..I finally worked mysself out of reeces peanut butter cups. I miss the baking items though and thats what I ask for the most..they just don't bake here like Im used to and I'm not crazy about Dutch desserts.

We get a chance to live a life most people can only dream of! we get to see and taste a whole world for sure..and Im loving it :)

I look forward to your recipe :)
MelissaDaams said…
@Sonya, ahh pb cups... miss those, too. love 'em. Nothing compares.

as for Dutch desserts, it wasn't until last year - during my pregnancy that i finally started liking vla. i buy it every week now :)

Do you like vlaai? i'm not really into it.
Sonya said…
I do not like Vlaai..it's so runny and odd..lol I love all the yogurts though. It took me awhile to get used to the different texture of yogurt here but I love it. I don't like the typical dessert like the appeltaart..not a fan of the crust at all. I pass on Olibollen aswell..it needs something else..like cinnamon or something..lol
Sonya said…
Sorry I ment to say Vla..I dont like that to much at all and Vlaai isn't on my must eat list either..lol

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)

Belgian Day - Speculoos Hagel and Stoemp!