Story Time at St. George Library, Utah

First snow this Fall, Jarvis Peak west of St. George, about 10 miles.
Nice photo eh?!
Photo courtesy Mark

Today it was cold outside, burrrr... very cold. We had planned on having a mommy meet up at Firehouse Park but it was much too cold for that. We went inside to the Story Time hour over at St. George Library.

Every week the St. George Library has several offerings for Story Time participation. I have only ever attended the Wednesday Story Time with Mrs. Mann. It is held at 10:00, 11:00 and 2:00 for ages 3-5, but I am usually there with my 2 year old and there are a lot of little ones with older siblings as well. Mrs. Mann plays fun music, reads longer stories for those ready to listen, there is usually a theme craft or coloring sheet at the end. It's fun. Mrs. Mann is awesome. She has a special gift interacting with the youngsters. She's a pro!

There is also a Monday Story Time with Grandpa Steve 10:00-11:00 for ages 12 and younger.

Again, Wednesday Evening Story Time with Mrs. Mann 5:00pm for ages 12 and younger.

Open Story Time with Miss Jill, Monday's at 1:00 (kids all ages welcome)

Toddler Time, Thursday 10:00, 11:00, and 1:00; Friday 11:00. Toddler Time is a story time geared toward children ages 2-4 and their parent. It is a beginning Story Time centered around a theme each week. Toddler Time has books, finger plays and songs to help younger children learn about the world around them. Basic concepts like the ABC's, colors, and numbers are also reviewed. Toddler Time ends with a coloring/craft period where children can interact with each other and practice their fine motor skills.

See, I haven't been to Toddler Time, but it sounds like Story Time with Mrs. Mann does the same thing. I will have to go to one and compare.

Here are some other activities offered at St. George Library that I have been to with my kiddos.

Science Club 6:30-7:30 every 1st and 3rd Tuesday for ages 7-11. Do experiments and learn about the world using life and physical science. It says in this brochure that to participate you need to register at the Children's Desk at the St. George Library, but I have been and never registered. I just showed up and there is always room. They also want you to spread the word about the cool things they got going on... so probably okay if you  just show up. I think if you are planning on coming with a youth group or something, then you should definitely register.

Art Club 6;30-7:30 every 2nd and 4th Tuesday for ages 7-11. Learn art techniques and history through hands-on projects. Again, it says to register, but I never do. I just show up and there is usually always space.

Even though the ages for Science Club and Art Club is 7-11, I will say that I have taken all three of my girls ages 5, 6, 9 and it's never been a problem that two are younger. Pretty much, they are just happy that kids show up.

I am always surprised how little some of these events are attended because they are great! But, I guess as the kids get busy with school, it can be exhausting to attend these events all the time. Last two weeks I didn't go to the Library Tuesday evenings, but if my kids have earned it, I will take them... they enjoy it. And now that it is darker earlier, and cooler too, there will not be any trips to playgrounds before bedtimes... this is a good alternative activity to just watching tv before bedtime.

Paws for Tales 4:00-5:00 every 1st Monday of the month. Children choose a book, meet their "Paws Pal" and read to the dog under supervision of a professional dog handler. (Never been, but it sounds cool).

For more up to date information here is the contact info:
St. George Library, 88 W 100 S (Town Square)
Children's Librarians: Mrs Mann and Mrs. Burton
Customer Service 435-634-5737
www.library.washco.utah.gov

Story Time Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 (singing with the pumpkin)

My little guy doesn't quite know what to do yet

Themed craft following the Story Time
Here is an example of a craft we made with Mrs. Burton, it was a mummy for Halloween -
using bendable laundry wire and strips of white fabric.
I was really glad I went this night because I needed a craft idea
for my daughters Halloween school party, and we did this! 



Siembra (above) and Dakoda in a fire hat.
This is from when the Firefighters came to St. George Library and explained fire safety to all the youngsters.
 Then we came outside and got to see the Fire Engine. Very cool...
plus all the kids got this cool Fire fighter plastic hat to take home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)