Friday Night Dinner & Dessert
(5 Sep - 2008)

Soy-Sweet Tofu with Mango Salsa
& Cucumber-Melon Sorbet




We served it over a bed of cous cous and a side salad sprinkled with pine nuts. Yummy. Delicious.

I found this recipe on weightwatchers a few years ago and I've veganized it.

The recipe goes like this (Serves 4): Marinate 1 pkg firm, pressed tofu cut in blocks in 4 T maple syrup (or brown rice syrup, agave syrup, corn syrup or molasses) and 4 T low sodium soy sauce or Tamari. Set aside. Combine 1/2 mango (canned or fresh) chopped, with 4 T lime or lemon juice, 1 T dry ground coriander and 1 small onion, chopped. Set aside. Cook tofu in pan with oil till browned on all sides. Serve with mango salsa on a bed of couscous. Complement with salad tossed with oil and vinegar and topped with chopped nuts. I used pine nuts. Also good with peanuts or macadamia. I also sprinkled chopped hazelnuts over the mango salsa. Gives it an extra dimension.




This is the Mango Salsa. It is made with lime juice, cucumbers, onion and coriander. I was out of lime juice so I used lemon. It turned out just fine with this substitute. I don't normally buy cucumber so I had all this leftover cucumber and thought what can I do with it?

So I mixed it with honeydew melon, a tablespoon lime juice and 1-2 tablespoons of agave nectar in the blender and turned it into sorbet. It was good but to be honest Kailea and Mark did not like it. It did have a very strong cucumber taste so no suprise there. I thought that if I sweetened it they wouldn't mind but it didn't go over too well. Looked pretty though. I forgot to take a photo but it looks like light lime colored sorbet. You can imagine that can't you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)