Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions and Spiced Pita Crisps
from Veganomicon (Vcon) by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero




This was one of the first recipes I've tried from Vcon and I like it. This is a big book and I haven't really been sure what to try. We buy onions in bulk and often times I have to throw some out that go bad - so when I saw that this recipe uses almost 2 pounds of onions I thought I'd go for it. The only thing that was holding me back was the amount of olive oil called for in the recipe. It's 3/4 cup olive oil. That seems like a lot to me and I bet if I were still on weightwatchers then this recipe would be a big no-no. But since I'm pregnant I got to enjoy it. It says that it's also called Mujadarah or Enjedra in the Middle East and Terry says she could live off it. They describe it as "comfort food." How can something with so simple ingredients taste so good? Sometimes it's the simple foods that taste best.


So we didn't eat any greens tonight and I would probably throw in some spinach next time I make it. We had it with the pita crisps spiced with garlic powder, cumin, cayenne and salt. I used 1/4 t garlic and salt and just a small pinch of cumin and cayenne. I halved the recipe so I didn't use much spices for the crisps either. We ran out of crisps though so I think I'll need to make all of those next time. Oh yeah, and all that olive oil was not too much. I thought it would feel like a really heavy meal in my tummy but it went down just fine. We still have about one or two servings of the lentil/rice mixture for leftovers. All in all - a good two thumbs up from Mark and I. We both love it and it is a keeper - a 5 star - delicious and yummy.

Comments

Rachel said…
Wow. You are a cooking machine. I love caramelized onions, that looks really good.

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)