Easy Strawberry Buttercream Frosting & Cooking Conversions

A friend of mine came over this morning so I could help her with making Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. No problem. Let's look online. So I do a search and almost everything I find has actual strawberries in it. Which, I admit, sounds so delicious. But her client that she is making it for requested strawberry flavored buttercream frosting. They do not want actual strawberry bits in it. I don't know why - it doesn't make any sense to me. So I saw some recipes that asked for frozen thawed strawberries and then to just use the juice. And another recipe said to use seedless strawberry jam. I am not even sure if I have ever seen seedless strawberry jam in these parts at least. So then I remembered a recipe from one of my books - and I have adapted it to work for this client's wants. I give you Easy Strawberry Buttercream Frosting. Enjoy.

1/4 cup (55 grams) Crisco
1/4 cup (57 grams) Butter or (55 grams) margarine
1 3/4 to 2 cups (228 to 260 grams) powdered sugar
4 tablespoons (60ml) strawberry syrup*
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) strawberry extract, optional
Drop of red food coloring, optional

Cream together crisco and butter. Add half of the powdered sugar and blend. Stir in strawberry syrup, extract and food coloring. Blend well. Then add the rest of the sugar until it's fluffy and the desired consistency. If it's too watery blend in more sugar one tablespoon at a time. If it's too dry add a teaspoon of milk at a time until desired consistency.

Also, I was thinking, if you don't happen by any strawberry extract - you could add a similar flavor like raspberry, cherry or even vanilla. Vanilla pairs so well with anything.

*Strawberry syrup: what we are looking for is the same stuff used in drinks known as "limonade siroop" here in the Netherlands. This is what is used for Italian sodas, not the same syrup as used on pancakes.

~

I have also found a very useful tool online. This is a food conversion calculator for cooking and it calculates based on weight to volume. Very cool because you can also select what you are converting. For example, we see above that the density of butter is different than margarine. So I'm hoping that this calculator is more accurate than others that I've seen. I found it here.

Comments

Mark said…
You are a pro Melissa. Way to go.

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)