Project-Cook Book: Cinnamon Rolls & Sweet Rolls

So, I want to write a cook book. I might as well do something with my English/Art Liberal Arts degree after all these years. I've loved baking and cooking a long time. It doesn't have to be a big book - a small simple cookbook with some new ideas is what I want to share.

The thing about cinnamon rolls is they are so warm, sweet and yummy. The traditional roll is the best - by far - why do anything different? Because I can. And I will. Now last year I stumbled upon Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - but I made mine with eggs. I think eggs do something to the texture of yeasty breads. You can omit them but with them they seem to be a bit flakier or something. So I usually adapt recipes to my liking - as probably most bakers (experienced bakers) do, too. Those were really good. So I thought, if you can use pumpkin, why not use another squash. And that's what I did. I used zucchini to make Zucchini Cinnamon Rolls. They were a hit. I know, it sounds so strange, but they were really good. And then I forgot about them and about 8 months later a girl I had never met said, "oh, you are the girl that made those Zucchini Cinnamon Rolls" and I said, yeah, that was me. She said, that sounds so interesting, I would love the recipe. So I sent it to her.

Got me thinking, after all my other business ideas have got me thinking the last several weeks... hey, I can write a cookbook on cinnamon rolls - and other sweet rolls. Why not? Julia Child did it. I recently saw that movie Julie and Julia and it got me thinking, I can write a book, too.

Now, one of my most favorite little cook books is from those post punk writers of New York: Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero - Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. It's a small cookbook but so innovative and fun. I love the recipes, I've made several - almost all of them. They rock - they really do! And I thought, if they can make a small cookbook on cupcakes, then I can make a small cookbook on cinnamon rolls and sweet rolls.

There are a lot of free recipes out there online of several different types of cinnamon rolls and sweet rolls. But most of them are kind of old-fashioned and classic. Nothing wrong with that. I love the old-fashioned cinnamon rolls. But what I want to do is think "outside the box" - and do something daring, different and creative with a recipe. That's why I made the Zucchini Cinnamon Roll. That's different. Well, sweet zucchini breads have been around for a while... but this combining zucchini with a yeasty bread - seems new to me.

I want to do more of that. I want to create! Creating is so much fun - and I want to share this with others through my book. My goal - 72 new recipes - 5 years. That's only 12 recipes a year - baking mainly October through March - 2 new recipes a month. I think I can do that. Then I will inspire other home bakers and they can break out and do wild and wacky things, too. We can create a trend. I read about it recently with donuts actually. I love donuts.

So, since cupcakes have had a makeover and donuts are getting makeovers... why not sweet rolls. Oh yeah baby, here I come!

Comments

Mark said…
Go for it!
MelissaDaams said…
I can't believe no one caught it - but I made a mathematical error... 12 months and 5 years is 60 recipes... doh!

Popular posts from this blog

The cook book for your toddler - Het kookboek voor je peuter

The BEST REAL Peanut Butter Cookies

Baby Name: Kenobi (boy)